In addition to the hiring and firing of coaches, Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany also has introduced a proposal to greatly expand his influence far beyond conference business, according to sources who have seen the plan.
The sources, who spoke on the condition they not be identified, said Delany’s ideas are very specific and sometimes stray even beyond the sports world. They include, but are not limited to:
- Selecting Super Bowl sites and participants, based on voting of people who may or may not have watched the games involving potential teams and an ever-evolving computer formula.
- Serving as all-time pitcher in Major League Baseball’s Home Run Derby.
- Appointing Supreme Court justices.
- Chairing the ObamaCare death panels.
- Hosting the Oscars.
- Deciding precisely how many ounces of soft drinks New Yorkers can consume in any one sitting.
The changes are expected to take effect over the coming months.